Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Webs We Weave

Hello girlies!! First off, I just want to say thank you guys so much for sticking with me. I don't say it enough but I love all your follows, your views, your comments, and your shares. You keep me going, keep me coming back with better and better nail art. So, thank you; you guys are great!!!

Spider nail art was the challenge for today in the Nail-Aween Challenge. I'm really excited to share these nails with you. I tried something new, and I really like how it turned out.

nails nailart nail art polish mani manicure Spellbound thread black white spider web spiderweb Halloween Nail-Aween Challenge

When I read the challenge for today all I could think of was spiderwebs on my nails with a spider crawling over my hand. I wanted nothing more than to find someone local who owned a tarantula and wouldn't mind me getting some pictures. Sadly, no one I know owns one anymore and I didn't think the local pet shop would be too happy if I wanted to hold their spiders for pictures with no intention of buying. I finally settled on this big guy. He was made with a suction cup on his belly so he could hang in the window but I found a new use for him.

nails nailart nail art polish mani manicure Spellbound thread black white spider web spiderweb Halloween Nail-Aween Challenge

These spiderwebs look even better in person. I used two coats of L.A. Colors black and used white sewing thread to create the webs. It was a little more time consuming than simply drawing them on but not only did I actually enjoy creating these webs I really love how 3D using thread makes them.

nails nailart nail art polish mani manicure Spellbound thread black white spider web spiderweb Halloween Nail-Aween Challenge

Here is a closer look at the thread. Honestly, they aren't the best to look at in macro. A camera catches things your eyes glance right over. I did not actually cut the thread first. I found it easier to control where the thread lay when it was still attached to the spool. I simply ran the tip of the thread through some clear polish and lay it where I wanted. I used my dotting tool and more clear polish to move it into position and attach it to my nail. I cut the end from the spool before I attached the last section. Each line was done separately. As I was doing this, I thought it was oddly like laying tape for a sunbeam mani.

nails nailart nail art polish mani manicure Spellbound thread black white spider web spiderweb Halloween Nail-Aween Challenge

I tried putting a top coat on my pinkie but it caused some slight bleeding into the white thread and also caused a lot of bubbling so I decided not to use top coat on the other nails. After that it was a simple matter of arranging the spider over my nails and snapping some pictures.

What do you think of my thread webs? Will you be trying them before Halloween?

15 comments:

  1. This is very creative and fun! I think it was a good choice to forgo the top coat on the other nails because it adds that much more to the 3D look. (: I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so creative!! I love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea - I like your resourcefulness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may just be the solution I've been looking for to complete my costume! Thanks for posting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! But I do hate spiders. I think it's the glitter that got me ;o)

    KJ xoxo

    http://talesofnailsx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you like them. I'm not too fond of spiders either. I think I'd be okay with a tarantula, but I don't do well with the small, fast, jumpy spiders we have around here. *shudder*

      Delete
  6. very creative! Great manicure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! very creative. How long did the mani. hold up?? just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It held up great actually. When I took these off a day later, after my usual daily wear and tear, there wasn't even any lifting on the tips. The awesome thing is that the thread came off really easily with some nail polish remover.

      Delete
  8. I just found your blog and i love it...and this manicure is awesome :) Keep up the great work ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been disabled for the time being. I love talking to you lovelies, and I can't always do that if I'm forced to moderate every comment. I'm really hoping not to have to bring comment moderation back so ... please don't spam the blog?